Consultations for anyone who is:
- Struggling with health problems, chronic pain or sensitivity.
- Feeling blocked in body, relationship, career or life as a whole.
- Noticing yourself stuck in repeating patterns.
- Longing to make a shift and feel more energy and vibrancy in your life.
In a consultation I offer a process of "instinct-mirroring" in which I explain and explore your Yin (陰) aspects (your physical body constitution) and Yang (陽) aspects (your emotional-psychological, energetic and relational qualities) to give you the most comprehensive possible picture of how to re-ignite or remember your own instinctive self-healing/ homeostatic-rebalancing.
Intrinsic Health Consultations are based on the energetic "maps" of Chinese medicine, Feng Shui and I Ching energetics.
An Intrinsic Health Consultation provides key information to:
Yin aspects - your physical body constitution
- Suggest nutritional choices that will suit your system, including recommendations for herbal supplementation required in some cases of depletion.
- Identify a recovery program that helps you self-heal.
- Suggest key points that you can use to totally change your specific physical issues.
- Find movement that suits your body and that you enjoy.
- Help you listen and relax into your own health instinct and free you of dependence on doctors and therapists.
Yang aspects -your emotional-psychological, energetic and relational qualities
- Recognise your innate limits which thereby shows you your natural strengths and abilities.
- End over-extending yourself bringing more relaxation and strength.
- Reflect your natural preferences and offer ways to nourish your natural expression.
- Find your ideal career path or direction in life.
- Suggest and identify how you can optimise the energetics of the place you live.
- Help you make life decisions in accordance with your nature.
- Help you understand your relationships and diagnose problems and help untangle knots.
- Help you see the key "game" you play in your life often embedded in the past and help you let go of it, so repeating patterns of sufferance start to drop away.
The Process and what to expect:
I’ll start by asking you lots of questions. This will enter us into a discussion about all aspects of your health:
1 - JING (精). I will begin by identifying your constitutional-type. This will determine the body-type you have, the nature of your metabolism and so what foods and activities will suit your system in general.
2 - QI (氣). Second I will ask questions and do visual examination to understand the nature of the particular dis-ease patterns of your body and subsequently be able to hone the constitutional-type/ body-type to suit your needs right now in your current situation. I will explain the energetic nature of why symptoms come up and help you to understand what you can do about them often through really listening to your instincts which will change your lifestyle and thinking automatically. My aim is to be a mirror to what you already know but may have lost sense of.
3 - SHEN (神). I will then look at your psychological profile and the ways in which you see the world. Traits you may have naturally differentiated from those you have picked up through conditioning of your past. I will try to offer a mirror image of your nature without additions, so you can see what "games" are in the way of you simply being ok with how you are.
Your questions. Lastly, I will answer any questions you have about the whole process so you are clear and we can look at the key points that can help you see the root of issues so your not trying to change hundreds of things but instead understanding what will effect everything.
After this is complete I suggest is that if you need me for further discussions as they come up, we can start from the foundation of this initial consultation. Body-type and psychological nature will not change as time goes on, but healing of what has blocked the instinctive nature of these will happen. Life can then look and feel quite different as time goes on. What I offer with this process is an anchor that can keep you connected to your instinctive sense whenever you lose feeling... if that should happen that is, otherwise and ideally the process renders me totally redundant; which is the whole point! Ideally your own instinctive sense will govern things.
Ahead of the consultation:
- I’ll ask you to send me your blood group*
- I’ll ask you to send me the date, time and location of your birth**
- to get a recording device ready or have note paper ready for anything you may want to take down.
- I mainly work online via WhatsApp, Skype or Google-meet, but I can of course see you in person also dependant on your location. I will ask you to send me details of your contact information.
* Buy a blood group tester kit here if you don’t already know it. (Blood group is only a small part of a range of factors I use in identifying constitution.)
** If you don’t know time or location, birth date will do.
After the initial consultation I offer a continuation and building upon this foundation directed by your needs. For those with an interested to go towards direct self-healing I can provide specific individually suited re-alignment therapy (Jen Jwung) for postural imbalance due to accident or illness. I can also provide instruction on rehabilitation of health issues through self-heal response induction (Daoyin ) in addition to meridian self-massage techniques, which help a person re-connect to the physical-energetic body and spontaneously return to a greater instinctive sense of health. (See the Daoyin course here for more in depth understanding of this.)
Other kind of follow-up sessions can include discussion on career or life direction, relationship and psychological patterns that are hard to overcome. We investigate how to see your issues from a picture of the broader energetics of nature (yin-yang interpretation) rather than whys and wherefores and as such navigate to a deeper sense of instinctive flow. This leads to a deeper trust in what comes through us rather than an attempt to understand or control. Viewing things from an energetic standpoint often gives perspective to problems that seem insurmountable and allows us to untangle knots.
"I cannot begin to express the incredible beauty that David has brought into my life........ He has been able to apply all the perfect keys to unlock my health and well-being on all levels of my existence. At the age of 58, I feel vibrant; holding a deeper and more accurate view of my personal reality than I have ever had before. What a genius and what a magical being to have happened across......"
- Amma Frimpong-Ansah (26/10/19)
"I am extremely fussy when it comes to practitioners, with a keen scent for BS, so it’s a huge deal for me to say I place David in a bracket of a handful of people who are real, who really get it (or, rather, are aware of how little there is to get!). Precisely to the incredible extent he hasn’t tried to change me, David has given me permission to change as I’ve relinquished my hopeless grasp on a false idea of myself and softened into my true nature. He has helped me put years on my life and save myself from a mad world of hyper-masculinity. Thanks D!"
-Ben Lucas (4/2/2020)
Available in person or online (1.5hrs)
I offer the following courses/ short-courses/ lectures which are based on my experience and study. Just to be clear this information is non-intellectual, and I am by no means an academic or intellectual....the information presented are attempts to draw "maps" of the energetic world around us that our sense perceptions are now, mostly unable to connect to. This is because our senses have be dulled due to the nature of the human condition. What my studies have tried to do and tried to find are the routes to re-discovery or remembering our senses again, this is an unlearing or unravelling. Once this is uncovered there is no more use for these "maps" and this work is rendered totally useless.....for now most people will be able to find something here that interests them to look further either for themselves or because of a desire to respond to others...
In each case the courses/ short-courses/ lectures are run as and when an individual or group request them. If I have a larger number of students the course costs will go down. I have a flat rate fee for individual tuition of £60/hr, the course times below are approximate and course length is tailored to individual learning rates. Requests can be made for a group and or private tuition, please contact me for details here.
The Health Instinct - the roots of Daoyin (導引): The pleasurable way of least resistance.
- remembering and dissolving into the instinctive healing response of the body. Ending the war with the body: Pain is NO gain, Pleasure is forever! (Total Course time: 6 hours in 3 modules)
A complete and fundamental way to heal and the basic foundations of any kind of self-healing modality. Daoyin (導引 - "Following innate/ instinctive qi form") is one of the two key aspects of Nei Gong (內 糼 - "Inside-out qi growth/ accumulation"). Daoyin may be the ancestral origin of all forms of self-healing, including Yoga and Tai Chi but long before these practices were systematized. Daoyin is a mysterious part of Chinese medicine culture, but something found at the origin of all human cultures. Very little is really understood about this most pre-historic form of self-healing that is really the original spontaneity of instinctively allowing the body to self-heal. Many "systems" of Daoyin have been formed over the years but these show external forms not the internal energetics.
This course is the culmination of over 20 years of engagement in Classical Chinese medicine, plus following work of several key teachers in Sotai, Seitai and Shiatsu as well as training in Taiji Chuan ( Tai Chi), Yi Chuan and Nei Gong. Additionally incorporating understandings from psychotropic medicines and trauma release techniques. All this to re-discover extremely simple and obvious ways that the body wants to spontaneously heal itself.
This is a practical course and is a "practice" or mode of listening that needs regular engagement to get the most out of it.
The course covers:
- Introduction to Pleasure vs. Pain-Numbness/ Emptiness and how the body spontaneously orders and self-heals.
- The various stages of Daoyin - re-remembering the instinctive response, integration and incorporation.
- Supplemental self-massage techniques and use of liniments.
- Explanation of how Daoyin heals the body through Chinese medicine energetics.
(This course is partnered with my book and video: "The Health Instinct" )
Jing Constitution: The 5-phase energetics of physical constitution, finding your personal way to instinctive eating. (Total course time: 8hrs in 4 modules)
This course covers:
- the 5 phases and understanding your body type
- Chinese medicine constitution for health, and interactions with Ayurveda
- Pictures of combining the 5 phases and genetic types for comprehensive understanding
- Diet based on constitution as primary, diet based on dis-ease pattern as secondary
- Why fad diets don't work for everyone and for limited time, from raw vegan to keto etc.
- Look at the energetics of diet and health underpinning dietary ideas
- The basis of instinctive eating
- Dealing with emotional patterns and nutrition
Foundations of Ancient Chinese Energetics: A short course about understanding Pure-energetics of nature that underpins human illusory formations of religious dogmatism and scientific theory. (Total course time: 2-3 hours)
This course covers:
- Overview of maps towards re-discovery of instinctive response: Jing methods, Shen methods, Total methods (5-phases, 9-Star energetics and 4-Pillars, Qi Men Dun Jia and I Ching.)
Classical Chinese Medicine Principles: A course to the instinctive energetics of the body in health and dis-ease. (Total course time: 14 hours - in 7 modules )
This course gives the background picture of the body energetics, it is mainly for people who want to understand their own body better and get a sense of how to listen and allow the instincts of self-healing. This can also be used as a base for training in shiatsu (including tunia and meridian massage), acupuncture, moxibustion and herbal medicine. I focus on explaining the core principles of energy systems of the body, how dis-ease patterns occurs and how to respond and balance. (Based on my text, book 2 of “The nature of Classical Chinese Medicine”)
Shen Constitution: 9-Star energetics, uncovering the basis of personality and relationship instinctive response, creating community, business and relationship balance.
(Total course time: 12hrs in 6 modules)
This course demystifies some key energetic maps of Feng Shui, uncovering the energies affecting your core personality, how you create community, relate with others and find work that suits your style.
Learn to paint clear pictures for your clients by investigating the 9-star energies of Xuan Kong Feng Shui, the 5 human phases, and the "3 relationship" energetics.
- The 9-star energies of Xuan Kong Feng Shui
- 5 Human Phases
- combining 9-stars with 5-phases and looking at the "3 relationship" dynamics
- and an introduction to 4-Pillar energetics for more details to the 9-stars.
- Overview of "total" methods like Qi Men Dun Jia and I Ching.
The energetics of natural attraction-replusion: This short course explores the energetic attraction-replusion expressed in relationships and sexuality, that occurs without the ideologies of beliefs, dogmas and ideals associated. (Total course time: 3-4 hours)
We look at a natural picture of the energetic dynamics our instinctive nature without religious-spiritual beliefs and/ or scientific idealism. We explore the nature of anchoring (yin) and passion (yang) in relating and how there might be a way of being in acceptance of both.
The energetics of Psychotropic medicine: The treatment of dis-ease and the problems of practice. (Total course time: 2-3 hours)
This course looks into understanding the underlying energetic principles of a number of key psychotropic plants used since ancient times to resolve the key human psychological issues, rooted in breaking patterns /addictions i.e. to "soften" personal identity; "me". We look at how each plant is part of a herbalism associated with the place it comes from and how using these plants have to have connection to the ancient knowledge of their energetics and understand from the indigenous people that know them. We look at modern arrogance and colonialism and the infiltrating ideas that effect the field of energy associated with these plants. We also look at sustainability and a focus on localisation when it comes to the use of these plants, in touch with local ecology not importation. We look at finding a non-dogmatic and pure-energetic landscape from which to understand these medicines.
The impossibility of the Known, the end of Seeking: Tao, Taoism and Confucianism as a base for understanding dualism of whatever kind globally. The basic architecture of the "me" state and an introduction to the few speakers of the so-called “radical” rare non-dual message. (Lecture time: 2 hours)